Frequently Asked Questions About Giving
If you have a question about the different ways to give through the Custer County Foundation, please read the information below or call us at (308) 872-2232.
What Kinds of Endowment Funds Can Be Developed Within the Foundation?
- Field of Interest Funds. A field of interest fund can be designated to meet your specific interest such as arts, education, health care, or programs for the youth or the elderly.
- Designated Funds. Designated funds support a specific charitable organization within Custer County such as the Boy Scouts, 4-H, Prairie Pioneer Center, or one of the county’s public schools.
- Scholarship Endowment Fund. A scholarship can be established to honor and pay tribute to a family or individual. Guidelines for creating scholarships can be as general or as specific as a donor or donors desire. The amount of the award depends on the annual interest an endowment receives.
- Unrestricted Funds. Funds can be given to be pooled with other undesignated funds for the broad charitable purposes of the Foundation.
Why Give Through the Foundation Instead of Directly to a Charity?
- Option of establishing one fund to benefit multiple purposes.
- Maximum tax benefits.
- Flexibility in the types of assets that can be gifted.
- Guaranteed long-term adherence to the donor’s wishes.
- Professional management of funds.
- Record-keeping convenience.
- Confidence of fund integrity through sound leadership and financial audits.
How Can I Help?
- Arrange a bequest to the Foundation in your will.
- Make gifts in memory of deceased persons or in honor of living persons.
- Establish within the Foundation a fund bearing your name or the name of the one you wish to honor.
- Give money, securities, personal property, or real property.
- Make the Foundation the beneficiary of a life insurance policy.
- Transfer assets to the Foundation from a private foundation and retain identity of name and purpose.
Become a Member of the Foundation
You’re invited to become a member of the Foundation with a one time or ongoing gift.
- Bronze = $50-$99
- Silver = $100-$249
- Gold = $250-$499
- Platinum = $500-$999
- Diamond = $1,000+